Buildings Associated With Members Of Temple Lodge, No.33  
Downtown Duncan

Members of Temple Lodge, No.33 have had a significant effect on the building and architectural history of Duncan and the Cowichan Valley. Also see our page on Houses Associated With Temple Lodge, No.33 Members.

Here are the buildings in, or near, downtown Duncan which we currently know of having connections to Temple Lodge, No.33 members or other Freemasons:

Canada Avenue (formerly Front Street)

Duncan Masonic Temple, 163 Canada Avenue

Duncan Masonic Temple, 1963 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
Duncan Masonic Temple, 163 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.

The Duncan Masonic Temple was built by Temple Lodge, No.33 members in 1912 Read More,,,

Former E&N Railway Station, now the Cowichan Valley Museum

The former E&N Railway Station, Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
The former E&N Railway Station, Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.

The former E&N Railway Station was built in 1912. The Duncan station master in 1912 was Roland Clayton Fawcett (1867-1923), a member of Temple Lodge, No.33 …… Read More….

Duncan & Christmas Heritage Mall, 149 Canada Avenue

Duncan and Christmas Heritage Mall, 149 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
Duncan and Christmas Heritage Mall, 149 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C. The Duncan Masonic Temple is on the right of the photo.

The Duncan & Christmas Heritage Mall at 149 Canada Avenue was formerly the business premises of Kenneth Forrest Duncan, who operated an insurance and financial services business here until his death in 1952. Over the years, Kenneth Duncan’s business partners included Temple Lodge, No.33 members Herbert W. Dickie and J. Islay Mutter…….Read More… 

Craig Street

45 Craig Street, now Just Jake’s Restaurant

45 Craig Street, Duncan, B.C. Built in 1922 for Harold F. Prevost's stationery business. It is now Just Jake's Restaurant.
45 Craig Street, Duncan, B.C. Built in 1922 for Harold F. Prevost‘s stationery business by architect Douglas James. It is now Just Jake’s Restaurant.

45 Craig Street was built in 1922 by architect Douglas James for Harold Fairfax Prevost, who used it as his business premises. It was later used by William Bruce Powel (1889-1965) as the location for his business, Powel’s Mens’ Wear…..Read More… 

Cowichan Merchants Building, Craig Street between Station Street and Government Street

Cowichan Merchants Building in downtown Duncan. Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson were among the three partners who built this landmark building in 1912.
Cowichan Merchants Building in downtown Duncan. Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson were among the three partners who built this landmark building in 1912.

The Cowichan Merchants Building was built by Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson, two of the three partners in Cowichan Merchants Ltd….Read More…. 

101 Station Street, intersection of Craig Street and Station Street

101 Craig Street was built circa 1893 by Christopher Dobson for his wheelwright and carriage making business.
101 Station Street was built circa 1893 by Christopher Dobson for his wheelwright and carriage making business.

101 Station Street is one of the oldest buildings in Duncan. It was built circa 1893 by Christopher Dobson for his carriage repair and wheelwright business. It later became the Hudson’s Hardware store owned by Temple Lodge, No.33 member Walter Maxwell Hudson…..Read More…. 

151-155 Craig Street, built for Hugh George Savage and his Cowichan Leader newspaper

151-155 Craig Street, built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Hugh George Savage's Cowichan Leader newspaper
151-155 Craig Street, built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Hugh George Savage‘s Cowichan Leader newspaper

151-155 Craig Street is now occupied by two retail stores, but it was originally built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Hugh George Savage (1882-1957), who used it for the office and printing press of his Cowichan Leader newspaper…Read More… 

Duncan City Hall, Craig Street at Kenneth Street

Duncan City Hall, originally built in 1913 as the Post Office. It was renovated into City Hall in 1974 under Mayor Ken Paskin (a member of Malahat Lodge, No.107)
Duncan City Hall, originally built in 1913 as the Post Office. It was renovated into City Hall in 1974 under Mayor Ken Paskin (a member of Malahat Lodge, No.107)

Duncan City Hall was built in 1913 as the Post Office. It was renovated into City Hall in 1974 in a project spearheaded by Mayor Ken Paskin, a member of Malahat Lodge, No.107, and City Councillors Gordon Berry and John Homer, both Past Masters of Temple Lodge, No.33…Read More….

Duncan Street

Duncan Garage, 330 Duncan Street

Duncan Garage, built in 1913 by Temple Lodge No.33 members Norman T. Corfield and John F. Corfield.
Duncan Garage, built in 1913 by Temple Lodge No.33 members Norman T. Corfield and John F. Corfield.

The Duncan Garage building was built in 1912 by Temple Lodge, No.33 members Norman T. Corfield and John F. Corfield…..Read More…

Government Street

70 Government Street, now Jim’s Pools and Spas

70 Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Built in 1922 by architect Douglas James and contractor Edward Lee for Temple Lodge member Charles B. Mains, who ran a butcher shop there until 1951.
70 Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Built in 1922 by architect Douglas James and contractor Edward Lee for Temple Lodge member Charles B. Mains, who ran a butcher shop there until 1951.

The building at 70 Government Street was built in 1922 by architect Douglas James for Temple Lodge, No.33 member Charles B. Mains, who used it for his butcher shop…. Read More…

The Wragg Building, Government Street elevation
The Wragg Building, Government Street elevation

The Wragg Building was built in 1940 for James C. Wragg, a member of Malahat Lodge, No.107 Read More….

231 Government Street, built for Thomas Pitt

231 Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Built by architect Douglas James in 1929 for Thomas Pitt's automobile business
231 Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Built by architect Douglas James in 1929 for Thomas Pitt‘s automobile usiness

The building at 231 Government Street was built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Temple Lodge, No.33 member Thomas Pitt  Read More…

Confederation Tree. Government Street at Jubilee Street

Confederation Tree, Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Planted 1 July 1927 by David Alexander
Confederation Tree, Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Planted 1 July 1927 by David Alexander

The Confederation Tree at Government Street and Jubilee Street was planted on 1 July 1927 by Temple Lodge, No.33 member David Alexander to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Canadian Confederation…….Read More….

Ingram Street

40 Ingram Street, now the Old Firehouse Wine Bar

The former Duncan Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street, now the Old Firehall Wine Bar. Built in 1923; designed by architect Douglas James
The former Duncan Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street, now the Old Firehall Wine Bar. Built in 1923; designed by architect Douglas James

The former Duncan Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street was built in 1923 by architect Douglas James for the City of Duncan under Mayor Ormond Towers Smythe, a member of Temple Lodge, No.33……Read More….

126 Ingram Street, now the Green Door

Green Door, Ingram Street in downtown Duncan. Built in 1903 by Samuel Robinson for Andrew Hans Peterson.
Green Door, Ingram Street in downtown Duncan. Built in 1903 by Samuel Robinson for Andrew Hans Peterson.

The Green Door at 126 Ingram Street is the oldest residential property still standing in downtown Duncan. It was built in 1903 by contractor Samuel Robinson for Andrew Hans Peterson…..Read More….

Kenneth Street

145-149 Kenneth Street, now Volume One Books. Built in 1949 by Claude Green
145-149 Kenneth Street, now Volume One Books. Built in 1949 by Claude Green

145-149 Kenneth Street has been home to Volume One Books since 1972 but it was originally built as an investment property by Claude Green in 1949….Read More…. 

Claude Green business sign, circa 1940, is still visible on 161 Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan
Claude Green business sign, circa 1940, is still visible on 161 Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan

161 Kenneth Street has been a restaurant for many years but in the 1930s and 1940s it was used by Temple Lodge, No.33 member Claude Green for his paint contracting business. A painted sign from Claude Green‘s business is still visible on the side of the building……Read More….

Dr. Watson Dykes' horse barn, dating from the early 20th century, is still standing behind 163 Station Street in downtown Duncan
Dr. Watson Dykes’ horse barn, dating from the early 20th century, is still standing behind 163 Station Street in downtown Duncan

Dr. Watson Dykes was the leading physician in Duncan during the first two decades of the 20th century. He originally did his house calls in a horse drawn carriage and kept his horse in this barn, still standing behind 163 Kenneth Street…..Read More… 

187 Craig Street was purchased by Walter Maxwell Hudson and re-fitted to its original use as a bowling alley.
187 Craig Street was purchased by Walter Maxwell Hudson and re-fitted to its original use as a bowling alley.

187 Kenneth Street was built as a bowling alley. During the Second World War it was purchased by the federal government, which used it as a canteen for soldiers. Temple Lodge, No.33 member Walter Maxwell Hudson purchased the building in 1946 and re-fitted it as a bowling alley……Read More….

Station Street

Whittome Building, Station Street, Duncan, B.C.
Whittome Building, Station Street, Duncan, B.C.

The Whittome Building at 64 Station Street was purchased in 1934 by Temple Lodge, No.33 member James Henry Whittome….Read More…  

The Hudson Block, Station Street, Duncan, B.C. Named for temple Lodge, No.33 member Walter Maxwell Hudson
The Hudson Block, Station Street, Duncan, B.C. Named for Temple Lodge, No.33 member Walter Maxwell Hudson

The Hudson Block on Station Street was owned by Temple Lodge, No.33 member Walter Maxwell Hudson…..Read More….

Cowichan Merchants Building in downtown Duncan. Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson were among the three partners who built this landmark building in 1912.
Cowichan Merchants Building in downtown Duncan. Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson were among the three partners who built this landmark building in 1912.

The Cowichan Merchants Building was built by Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson, two of the three partners in Cowichan Merchants Ltd….Read More….

101 Craig Street was built circa 1893 by Christopher Dobson for his wheelwright and carriage making business.
101 Craig Street was built circa 1893 by Christopher Dobson for his wheelwright and carriage making business.

101 Craig Street, at the corner of Craig Street and Station Street, was built circa 1893 by Christopher Dobson for his wheelwright and carriage making business…..Read More…

 

161-165 Station Street in downtown Duncan. The storefront at 165 Station Street (on the left of the photo) was occupied by Kyle's Taxi from the 1920s to the 1950s.
161-165 Station Street in downtown Duncan. The storefront at 165 Station Street (on the left of the photo) was occupied by Kyle’s Taxi in the 1920s and 1930s.

The building at 161-165 Station Street in downtown Duncan dates from the early 20th century. From the early 1920s until the 1950s Kyle’s Taxi, owned by Temple Lodge, No.33 member John Albert Kyle (died 1951), operated from the storefront at 165 Station Street…..Read More….. 

Nagle Street, Cairnsmore residential district

Duncan Elementary School

Duncan Elementary School, built in 1913. The architect who designed it and the contractor who built it were both Freemasons.
Duncan Elementary School, built in 1913. The architect who designed it, the School Board Chairman who commissioned it and the contractor who built it were all Freemasons.

Duncan Elementary School at 1033 Nagle was built in 1913 and is a Duncan Heritage Building. The architect who designed it was a Freemason; the School Board Chairman who oversaw its planning and construction and the contractor who built it were both members of Temple Lodge, No.33….Read More… 

We will add more buildings to this page as we do more research. Also see our page on Houses Associated With Temple Lodge Members.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?