Duncan Garage, 300 Duncan Street
The Duncan Garage, 300 Duncan Street, in downtown Duncan, was built in 1913 by Temple Lodge No. 33 member Norman Tressidor Corfield. John Frederick Corfield, Norman Corfield’s brother, was also a member of Temple Lodge No. 33 and was also involved in the Duncan Garage business.
In 1910, Norman Tressidor Corfield formed a business partnership with Temple Lodge No. 33 member Hubert Keast to operate a livery stable in downtown Duncan. Following Hubert Keast‘s death in 1911, Norman Corfield acquired Hubert Keast‘s interest in the partnership and formed Duncan Garage Ltd.
Duncan Garage Ltd. initially operated from a small building on the southwest corner of Canada Avenue and Station Street, a block west of its current location.
Anticipating the growth in the automobile sales and service industry, Norman Tressidor Corfield acquired a franchise from Ford Motor Co. to start a Ford dealership in Duncan, selling Ford cars and farm equipment. He then acquired the land on Duncan Street where Duncan Garage is now located and built the Duncan Garage building in 1913.
Duncan Garage operated as an actual garage and vehicle dealership until the 1980’s. It has since been converted into retail spaces, occupied a a variety of small businesses.
Here is a map showing the location of the Duncan Garage, 330 Duncan Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Duncan Garage, 330 Duncan Street:
We are aware of other Temple Lodge No. 33 members who worked at Duncan Garage at various times, including: Christopher Dobson, Stanley Josiah Tombs.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?