Music has a significant place in Masonic philosophy and ritual as one of the seven liberal arts and it has always featured prominently in Freemasonry.
It is therefore quite fitting that there have been, and are, many musicians in Freemasonry.
Here are some musicians who were/are Freemasons. We will add more names and links to these names over time.
- Johann Christian BACH (1735-1782) Lodge of Nine Muses No. 235, London, U.K.
- Franz Joseph HAYDN
- Franz LISZT (181-1886) lodge Zur Einigkeit, Frankfort-onthe-Main and lodge Zur Eintracht, Berlin
- Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART
- Jean SIBELIUS (1865-1957) Suami Lodge No. 1, Helsinki, Finland
- Gene AUTRY
- Jimmie RODGERS
Popular Music / Show Music
- Irving BERLIN (1888-1989) Munn Lodge No. 190, New York
- William S. GILBERT (1836-1911) Lodge St. Machar No. 54, Aberdeen, Scotland
- Arthur Seymour SULLIVAN (1842-1900)
At present, we are not aware of any reggae musicians who are/were Freemasons but this Bob Marley song is certainly relevant to Freemasonry. The Biblical passages this song is taken from feature in some portions of Masonic ritual.
- Moka Only
Also see our page on Hip Hop and Freemasonry.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?