Christopher Dobson (died 1937, aged 74) was one of the first three members who sent Petitions for Initiation to Temple Lodge, No.33 when the Lodge was first formed in December 1899. He was Initiated, Passed and raised in Temple Lodge in 1900 and served as Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge, No.33 in 1903 and 1904.
Christopher Dobson submitted a Petition for Initiation to Temple Lodge, No. 33 on 16 December 1899. He was recommended for membership by James Evans and Samuel Robinson and his Petition was referred to an Investigating Committee comprised of William Gidley, Jonathan Hands and Harry Smith.
Christopher Dobson was Initiated in Temple Lodge, No. 33 on 10 February 1900, Passed on 24 February 1900 and Raised on 10 March 1900. He served as Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge, No.33 in 1903 and 1904.
In 1893, Christopher Dobson built a business premises in for his carriage and bicycle business. That building is still standing at 101 Craig Street in downtown Duncan.
Christopher Dobson’s house is still standing at 220 Beech Road in Duncan, B.C.
Here is a brief biographical sketch of Christopher Dobson from various records, including Temple Lodge, No. 33 records, his April 1937 obituary and coverage of his funeral in the Cowichan Leader newspaper:
“…The Lodge then proceeded to Initiate the following candidates.
First Mr. Chris Dobson of the town of Duncans…Second Mr. C.H. Dickie….Third Mr. J.H. Whittome….All of whom were found well and worthy, recommended, initiated to the first degree of an Entered Apprentice Mason.
Bro. J. Evans S.D. then gave the lecture to the candidates on the Tracing Board, giving great satisfaction to the brethren present……”
(Source: Temple Lodge, Minutes of Regular Meeting, 10 February 1900)
“…Lodge was opened in the first or apprentice degree at 8 o’clock. Bros. C. Dobson, C.H. Dickie and J.H. Whittome was [sic] then [examined] as to their efficiency of being passed to the second or Fellowcraft Degree. The three Brethren were found worthy to be passed.
Moved by Bro. Wm. Gidley, sec’d by Bro. Samuel Robinson, that Bros. Dobson, Dickie and Whittome having passed the examination they now be passed to the second or Fellowcraft Degree (Carried)……
Bros. C. Dobson, C.H. Dickie and J.H. Whittome were then passed to the second or Fellowcraft Degree. Bro. W.D. Stewart of Ashlar Lodge kindly gave the lecture to the candidates….”
(Source: Temple Lodge No.33, Minutes of Emergent Meeting, 24 February 1900)
“…Bros. C. Dobson, C.H. Dickie and J.H. Whittome being present were examined as to their proficiency in the work of a Fellow Craft Mason. The three Bros. passed well in the work, being complimented by the W.M. on their proficient knowledge of the same [and] recommended them for further advancement………Bro. C. Dobson was then raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason in due and ancient form. Bro. C.H. Dickie being in waiting was then also raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason in due and ancient form. After which Bro. J.H. Whittome was also raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason in due and ancient form.
The W.M. then gave the charge to the newly obligated Bros. [and] they signed the roll……”
(Source: Temple Lodge No.33, Minutes of Regular Meeting, 10 March 1900)
“….St. John’s Day [note: St. John the Evangelist day is 27 December] falling last year  on Sunday, and the By-Laws of Temple Lodge prescribing, in such an event, Saturday as the day for Installation of Officers, I proceeded to Duncan’s on the 26th of December , when I had the pleasure of installing W. Bro. Dobson as W.M. This is W. Bro. Dobson’s second term , and the Brethren have shown much good sense in keeping as their Master such an efficient officer…………
Edward B. Paul, D.D.G.M., District No. 1, Victoria, 1 June 1904″
(Source: Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of B.C., A.F. & A.M., 1904, page 27)
“…..On Nov. 12th, 1904, I visited Temple Lodge, No. 33, Duncans. On this occasion a Past Master’s jewel was presented to W. Bro. C. Dobson, who was leaving for England. W. Bro. Dobson has rendered excellent service to this Lodge, having had two terms as W.M. After the Lodge was closed we were entertained by the Duncans Brethren at supper, and an enjoyable time was spent listening to speeches and songs……
P.J. Riddell, D.D.G.M., District No. 1, Victoria, 1 June 1905”
(Source: Proceedings, Grand Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of British Columbia, 1905, Report of D.D.G.M., District No. 1, page 24)
Here is Christopher Dobson’s 1937 obituary in the local Cowichan Leader newspaper:
“Dobson – Mr. Christopher Dobson, well-known citizen of Duncan who first came here 50 years ago, passed away in Duncan Hospital early on Tuesday morning at the age of 74. He had been in the hospital two weeks.
Mr. Dobson was born in Yorkshire. He came to Canada in 188x [illegible in original], living in Victoria for a year before coming to Duncan. He was a wheelwright by trade, and established a carriage building business in what is now the Hattie building on Craig Street. Later, he sold the first bicycles in Duncan.
He sold out his business in 1904 to Mr. D.R. Hattie, and went back to England, where he was married. He remained there for seven years before returning to Duncan and taking up residence on Wharncliffe Road [note: the street address of Christopher Dobson’s house is now 220 Beech Road].
Mr. Dobson was a keen supporter of cricket, and helped the Cowichan club in many ways as well as making and repairing bats for members. He was an honorary member of the club.
He leaves his widow, a brother Mr. William Dobson, in Duncan, and two other brothers and two sisters in England.
The funeral service will take place to-day at 3 p.m., at St. John’s Church, burial to be in St. Peter’s Churchyard, Quamichan. The Rev. J [illegible in original] will officiate. Mr. R.W. Whidden is handling funeral arrangements.”
(Source: Cowichan Leader, 1 April 1937 from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)
Christopher Dobson is buried in St. Peter’s Quamichan Anglican Cemetery, North Cowichan.
Would you like to leave a question or comment about anything on this page?