Dr. Watson Dykes, M.D. (died 1952, aged 74) was a member of Ashlar Lodge, No. 3 in Nanaimo when he moved to Duncan in 1904 and affiliated with Temple Lodge, No.33. He was Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge, No 33 in 1920.
For many years he was the only doctor in the district. He was the local doctor during the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918-20. On his recommendation, North Cowichan Reeve J. Islay Mutter and Duncan Mayor Edward Miller declared quarantines in 1918 to curb the spread of the Spanish Flu..
After Dr. Dykes first arrived in Duncan in 1904, he used a horse and buggy to make house calls on patients. The horse barn where Dr. Dykes stabled the horses who pulled the buggy in which Dr. Dykes made house calls is still standing behind 163 Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan. His home (now demolished) was on Ingram Street, probably where the Telus facility stands now.
Dr. Watson Dykes was Senior Deacon of Temple Lodge in 1910, Senior Warden in 1919 and Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge, No. 33 in 1920. He moved to Vancouver in 1922.
We were recently told about two local residents who were delivered by Dr. Watson Dykes and whose mothers named them “Watson” in honour of Dr. Dykes. These local residents were Watson Evans (whose farm on Somenos Road is still operating; part of the Evans farm is now the baseball field on Somenos Road) and Watson Weeks, who Dr. Dykes delivered in 1913.
Here is Dr. Watson Dykes obituary. We will add more biographical information as we uncover it.
“Dykes – Many in Cowichan will regret to hear of the passing of Dr. Watson Dykes in Vancouver on Friday. Born in Nanaimo 74 years ago, he came here in 1904 and left for Vancouver 18 years later. For many years he was associated with the school board there and, although later retired, was still called on for private practice.
He was one of the old school of country doctors. At one time he was the only medical man in this whole district. He seldom had the chance to get away. He had one of the first cars here, supplanting his old buggy. His home was on Ingram Street. From time to time he has visited Duncan, meeting old friends and hosts of grown up babies of the long ago.
His wife (nee Miss Randall) died here in 1916. Their son, Randall, served in the navy during the last war and is now in Nova Scotia. There are two grandchildren, two brothers, Joseph, Nanaimo, and Jack, Powell River; two sisters, Mrs. M. Wilkinson, Nanaimo, and Mrs. R. Clarke, Seattle. His widow (the former Miss Mabel Fentiman) is at 5962 Cypress Street, Vancouver.
Dr. Dykes affiliated with Temple Lodge, No. 33, A.F. & A.M., in 1904 and became its W.M. in 1920.
The funeral service was private, followed by cremation.”
(Source: Cowichan Leader, 4 December 1952 – from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?