Amalgamation Referendum In Spring 2018 – Did You Know That Members Of Temple Lodge No. 33 Were Instrumental In Creating The City of Duncan in 1912?

In the spring of 2018 there will be an Amalgamation Referendum on the question of whether to re-unite the City of Duncan and the Municipality of North Cowichan into a single political entity.

With this Amalgamation Referendum soon to be upon us it is interesting to consider the historical fact that Duncan residents broke away from North Cowichan and created the City of Duncan in 1912 on land formerly part of the Municipality of North Cowichan, primarily because residents of Duncan were dissatisfied with the services provided, or not being provided, by the Municipality of North Cowichan.

The Incorporation of the City of Duncan in 1912 was accomplished primarily by members of Temple Lodge No. 33, including Kenneth Duncan, J. Islay Mutter, Andrew Hans Peterson, James MacLeod Campbell, Frank Brettingham, Thomas Pitt, William Gidley, Charles Herbert Dickie, James Whittome, William Mordaunt Dwyer, Thomas Pitt.

Another Temple Lodge No. 33 member, Thomas Anthony Wood, was on the other side of the issue as Reeve of North Cowichan in 1911 when these events began.

To document this history we have created a new webpage on Incorporation of the City of Duncan In 1912.

Here are photos of some of the Temple Lodge No. 33 members involved in Incorporation of the City of Duncan In 1912.

Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920
Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920 (Photo courtesy of City of Duncan)

Continue reading Amalgamation Referendum In Spring 2018 – Did You Know That Members Of Temple Lodge No. 33 Were Instrumental In Creating The City of Duncan in 1912?

Kenneth Forrest Duncan, first Mayor of Duncan

Worshipful Brother Kenneth Forrest Duncan (1881-1952) was a member of the family for whom the City of Duncan is named. He was instrumental in establishing the City of Duncan in 1912. He served as the City of Duncan’s first Mayor in 1912-13. Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan is named for him.

Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920
Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920. First Mayor of Duncan, 1912. W.M. of Temple Lodge, No.33 in 1913. (Photo courtesy of City of Duncan

Continue reading Kenneth Forrest Duncan, first Mayor of Duncan

Masonic Mayors of Duncan

Since the City of Duncan was incorporated in 1912, there have been sixteen Mayors of Duncan. Ten of those sixteen Mayors have been Freemasons and eight of those ten have been members of Temple Lodge, No.33.

Thomas Pitt as District Deputy Grand Master, circa 1918
Thomas Pitt as District Deputy Grand Master, circa 1918. Thomas Pitt was Mayor of Duncan 1914-16 and in 1924 (photo copyright Temple Lodge, No.33)

Here is a list of the Freemasons who have served as Mayor of Duncan, followed by a list of Freemasons who have served on Duncan City Council.

Freemasons Who Have Served On Duncan City Council

Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920
Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920. First Mayor of Duncan, 1912 (Photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
Ormond Towers Smythe, Mayor of Duncan 1914-16, 1923
Ormond Towers Smythe, Mayor of Duncan 1914-16, 1923 (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
J. Islay Mutter, Mayor of Duncan and Reeve of North Cowichan
J. Islay Mutter, Mayor of Duncan and Reeve of North Cowichan (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
George Henry Savage, Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge, No.33 in 1923. Mayor of Duncan 1943-46
George Henry Savage, Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge, No.33 in 1923. Mayor of Duncan 1943-46 (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
Ken Paskin, Mayor of Duncan 1974-1979. He was a member of Malahat Lodge, No. 107 in Mill Bay, B.C.
Ken Paskin, Mayor of Duncan 1974-1979. He was a member of Malahat Lodge, No. 107 in Mill Bay, B.C. (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)

 

Douglas William Barker, Mayor of Duncan,

Douglas William Barker, Mayor of Duncan, (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)

St. John’s Anglican Church on Jubilee Street and its connections to Temple Lodge, No.33

St. John's Anglican Church, Jubilee Street, Duncan, B.C. Dedicated in 1905 by the Grand Master of B.C.
St. John’s Anglican Church, Jubilee Street, Duncan, B.C. Dedicated in 1905 by the Grand Master of B.C.

St. John’s Anglican Church at 486 Jubilee Street, Duncan, B.C. was built in 1905 with the active participation of Temple Lodge, No. 33 members. Temple Lodge, No. 33 arranged for the Grand Master of B.C., Most Worshipful Brother Thomas J. Armstrong, to convene a Special Communication of Grand Lodge in Duncan on 26 August, 1905 to allow the Grand Master of B.C. to lay the cornerstone of St. John’s Anglican Church.

A Temple Lodge. No.33 member, James McLeod Campbell, a builder by trade, secured the contract for construction of the church.

The church was designed by Victoria architect John Charles Malcolm Keith (1858-1940), who had a long association with the Anglican Church in B.C. and designed several other Anglican churches, including Christ Church Cathedral in Victoria, St. Mary Magdelene Anglican Church on Mayne Island and the Cathedral Church of the Redeemer in downtown Calgary. Keith also designed the Pemberton Memorial Chapel at Royal Jubilee Hospital in 1909 and the First Presbyterian Church on Quadra Street in Victoria in 1910.

St. John's Anglican Church, Jubilee Street, Duncan, B.C. Dedicated in 1905 by the Grand Master of B.C.
St. John’s Anglican Church, Jubilee Street, Duncan, B.C. Dedicated in 1905 by the Grand Master of B.C.

Other members of Temple Lodge, No. 33 known to have been associated with St. John’s Anglican Church are Roland Clayton Fawcett, Kenneth Forrest Duncan, James Grieg, Thomas Pitt, Hugh George Savage, John Dick, Thomas Gibbins, William H. Purver, John Homer, Steven Hamilton Hoskins.

James McLeod Campbell, circa 1907 as Reeve of North Cowichan
James McLeod Campbell, builder of St. John’s Anglican Church, circa 1907 as Reeve of North Cowichan (photo courtesy of Municipality of North Cowichan)

Here are some of the records regarding the Masonic involvement in St. John’s Anglican Church, Duncan:

“The meeting of the Grand Lodge of Masons to be held in Duncan on the 26th of this month for the purpose of laying the corner stone of the new church promises to be very interesting. Every one should see this ceremony.”

Source: Cowichan Leader, 16 August 1905

Here is the Grand Master of British Columbia’s report of the cornerstone ceremony at St. John’s Church:

“…….On the 26th of August, 1905, I convened a Special Communication of Grand Lodge at Duncan’s, B.C., for the purpose of laying the corner stone of St. John’s Church. A large number of Brethren from Duncan’s, Victoria, and other parts of the Province, took part in the ceremony. M.W. Bro. C. Ensor Sharp delivered a most eloquent address. During the ceremony I was presented with a magnificent silver trowel which I will always treasure as a memento of one of the pleasantest duties of my Masonic experience. In the afternoon the ladies of St. John’s Church entertained the Grand Lodge and other visitors at afternoon tea, and the members of Temple Lodge provided carriages and took us for a drive through the magnificent country surrounding Duncan’s……….

Report of Grand Master, M.W. Bro. Thomas J. Armstrong, Grand Lodge, 21 June 1906, Victoria, B.C.”

Source: Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of B.C., A.F. & A.M., 1906, page 8

“……………..On August 26th, 1905, I visited Temple Lodge No. 33, Duncan’s. They had no work on, but a social session was held and a very pleasant evening spent……….

Report of Grand Master, M.W. Bro. Thomas J. Armstrong, Grand Lodge, 21 June 1906, Victoria, B.C.”

Source: Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of B.C., A.F. & A.M., 1906, page 11

“PARISH HISTORY
———————
Canon Leakey Refers To Beginnings of Anglican Church in Duncan
———————————————–

The services at St. John [the] Baptist church on the day of its patron saint were marked by a sermon by the Rev. Canon Leakey at evensong.

His texts were those used by the then Bishop of Columbia and himself at the consecration services in 1906, namely, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make His paths straight.” and “Let us go on to perfection.”

The canon recalled his first impression of Duncan in 1886, when there were two farms, namely those of Messrs. W.C. Duncan and James Evans, and one shack, that of Mr. E.B. McKay. Elsewhere there was dense dark forest.

Services were conducted by himself as vicar of St. Peter’s Quamichan, in Mr. Duncan’s house, until 1890, when the old agricultural hall was utilized. Then the Masons offered their hall and finally, it was decided to build a church, which stood in a veritable wilderness and, like its patron saint, cried its message.

On August 26th, 1905, the corner stone of the building was laid by the Most Worshipful the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of B.C. It is of interest to record that General Currie on that occasion acted as Grand Marshal. In December of that year the church was opened for service, and about June 22nd 1906, it was consecrated.

Canon Leakey said their gratitude was due to the Masonic fraternity for their interest in the church in the past.
From its name the church spoke of repentance and urged them to go on to perfection. These yearly stages should be marked in their own lives.”

Source: Cowichan Leader, 8 July 1920, page 8

Here are the records of a report given to Temple Lodge, No.33 by M.W.B. Claude Green in February 1979 regarding research he done on the history of St. John’s Anglican Church.

“New Business

M. Wor Bro Green told the Lodge that his wife has been compiling a “scrap book” and had two identical newspaper pictures giving conflicting accounts of corner stones being laid by local Freemasons. Under one picture it said it was the laying of the corner stone of the first Duncan Hospital which took place on October 22nd, 1910. The other picture stated it was the laying of the corner­stone of St John’s Church, Duncan, B.C. on August 26th, 1905.

Bro Green said his wife was able to prove the correct account of the two pictures was the laying of the corner stone of the first Duncan Hospital by virtue of the fact that two small girls shown in the background were the daughters of our late Wor Bro Wm Dwyer who are approximately the same age as Mrs Green who was born in 1904. The two girls in the background of the picture are approximately six and seven years of age. Mrs Green has verified this with the two Dwyer girls.

Bro Green stated he was aware of the laying of the corner stones of the first Duncan Hospital and our present Masonic Building but had no knowledge of the St John’s Church corner stone. He stated he had found the Church corner stone text but it did not have the customary A.F. & A.M. and Square and Compass inscribed upon it he had therefore doubted that the corner stone had been laid under the auspices of the local Freemasons.

Not satisfied Bro Green looked up the Minutes of 1905 and found that an Emergent Meeting dated August 4th, 1905 was called especially to make arrangements for the laying of the said corner stone and that Grand Master Armstrong had been invited to officiate at the ceremony.

An Emergent Meeting was held in the Lodge on Saturday, August 26th, 1905 at 8:00 p.m. in which the Grand Master paid an Official Visit to Temple Lodge. No mention being made of the laying of the corner stone.

Research of the Grand Lodge Proceedings dated 1906 Bro Green found that Grand Master reported in his Address to the Brethren of his Official Visit to Temple Lodge on the evening of August 26th 1905. Still no mention of the laying stone of St. John’s Church.

Further research in the Grand Lodge Proceedings and under the heading of Special Events Grand Master Armstrong states he had laid the corner stone at St John’s Church, Duncan’s in the afternoon of Saturday, August 26th, 1905. Thus a Masonic laying of the corner stone at St John’s Church had now been established.

Unfortunately, the Lodge Secretary of that period failed to record that Temple Lodge #33 together with the Grand Master had participated in that historic event.

Bro Green asked permission of the Lodge to Insert in the proper space of the Minutes of 1905 a memorandum recording this important historic event. This was immediately authorized.

The Worshipful Master thanked Bro. Green and his wife for the trouble takes by them in order to establish the correct version of the two newspaper pictures and the consequent research undertaken to establish the fact that the St John’s Church corner stone had been laid under the auspices of the local Freemasons and the Grand Master of that period.

Of interest the St John’s Church corner stone bears the following inscription:-

A.M.D.G.
Aug 26, 1905
These are the initials of the following Latin sentences-
AD MAGNA DEO GLORIA
which translated says
TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD

There being no further business the Lodge was closed at 8:00 p.m. in Short Form.

Peace and harmony prevailing.”

Source: Temple Lodge, No.33 Minute Book, Meeting of 13 February 1979

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?