Our newly Installed Grand Master of B.C. & Yukon for 2020-2021 is M.W.B. Don MacKenzie.
M.W. BRO. DONALD WALTER MACKENZIE
Grand Master 2020-2021
MW Bro Don Mackenzie was born in New Westminster on 4 April 1951 and educated in Maple Ridge. Our Grand Master is a proud seventh generation Freemason. As you would expect, he was exposed to Freemasonry from a young age, which influenced his early childhood. This masonic influence has continued throughout his adult life.
In 1974 he started a more than thirty-year career contracting for Columbia Bitulithic, a well established paving and road building contractor located in Vancouver.
Our Grand Master was initiated in May of 1992, passed in February of 1993, and raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason in March of 1993, in Prince David Lodge No. 101, in Maple Ridge. He was elected as Worshipful Master for the 1997-1998 Masonic year, the fourth member of his family to hold that office.
Our Grand Master has served as Director of Ceremonies for his lodge on several occasions and has stepped into other rôles whenever necessary. He was appointed District Deputy Grand Master, representing District 28 for MW Bro Donald E. Stutt for 2013-2014.
He is a 32º Scottish Rite Freemason and a member of Fraser Valley Lodge of Perfection. Our Grand Master was elected Junior Grand Warden in 2017 and installed as Grand Master in June of 2020.
Married in 2006 to Rita, they have a blended family of three sons, two daughters, and nine grandchildren.
When not being busy with Freemasonry MW Bro. MacKenzie also enjoys spending time with his family, fishing, camping, and travel.
Claude Green married Edna Castley in 1928 and they hired architect Douglas James to build them a house at 733 Wharncliffe Road. This house is still standing. In 1937, Claude and Edna Green moved from Wharncliffe Road into a new home they had built on Grieve Road in North Cowichan.
In the 1930s and 1940s, Claude Green operated a paint contracting business at 161 Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan. That building is still standing and Claude Green’s business sign, circa 1940, is still visible on an exterior wall.
In 1949, Claude Green built a new building at 145-149 Kenneth Street to house his paint contracting business. He quickly sold this building to a group of doctors who wanted it as an investment property. This building is now a landmark building in downtown Duncan and has been home to Volume One Books since 1972.
Here is a brief biographical sketch of Most Worshipful Brother Claude Alfred John Green, taken from various sources:
“GREEN – Claude Alfred John, died at Royal Jubilee Hospital, September 7 2003. Claude was born March 11, 1904, in Wealdstone, Middlesex, a northwestern suburb of Folkestone, on the coast of Kent, where he completed his schooling and participated in competitive rowing. In 1921 they emigrated to Canada and settled in Duncan. Claude started a painting and decorating business in 1925, which later evolved into a very successful painting contracting enterprise, primarily utilized by sawmills, pulp mills and logging camps up and down the B.C. coast. After retiring from contracting he became a driving Instructor for the next ten years, an occupation which gave him great enjoyment. In 1928 he married Edna Castely, a member of one of the pioneering families of the Cowichan Valley, and they built two homes – the first on Wharncliffe Road and, in 1937, a larger one on Grieve Road for their expanding family, a son, Rodney, and a daughter, Sylvia. Edna and Claude were married for 71 happy years. Claude was involved in many facets of local community life, including the Duncan Volunteer Fire Department; the Junior Chamber of Commerce; the Masonic Lodge (becoming Grand Master of British Columbia and Yukon in 1957-58); the Cowichan Cricket Club; the Cowichan Historical Society and Cowichan Valley Museum; Meals on Wheels; and the Cowichan District Hospital Association, of which he was chairman for ten years. During this time he was closely involved in the planning and construction of the Cowichan District Hospital, which opened in September 1967. He was chosen Duncan’s Citizen of the Year in 1967 in recognition of his contributions to the community while serving on the hospital board. Claude was predeceased by his wife, Edna; son, Rodney; daughter-in-law, Jean; grandson, Bruce Green; sister, Edna Swan and brother, Malcolm. He will be greatly missed by daughter, Sylvia (Glenn) Dyer, daughter-in-law Eileen and eight grandchildren, Lyn (Douglas) Bain, Laurie Green (Cyril), Ian (Dinaurea) Cheffins, Lyle (Yvonne) Green, Brian (Joanna) Cheffins, Karen (Jim) Dunn, Christine (Paul) Ringrose and Jonathan Cheffins (Kristianne). He is also survived by six great-granddaughters, six great-grandsons, and nieces and nephews in Canada, England and the United States. The family would like to thank Dr. Stephen Faulkner (Claude’s friend, physician and biographer) for his care and support and the marvelous staff at Wedgwood House, where Claude resided for the last three years, for their assistance and many kindnesses. A wonderful life well lived. In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Claude’s memory to the Duncan District Hospital Foundation, #4-466 Trans-Canada Highway, Duncan, B.C. V9L 3R6 or the Cowichan Valley Museum, Box 1014, Duncan, B.C. V9L 3Y2.
A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, September 20 at the Silver Bridge Inn Travelodge at 2:00 p.m.
First Memorial Funeral Services 250-748-2134” (Source: Cowichan Leader 2003 – from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)
Other members of Temple Lodge, No. 33 known to have been associated with St. John’s Anglican Church are Roland Clayton Fawcett, Kenneth Forrest Duncan, James Grieg, Thomas Pitt, Hugh George Savage, John Dick, Thomas Gibbins, William H. Purver, John Homer, Steven Hamilton Hoskins.
“The meeting of the Grand Lodge of Masons to be held in Duncan on the 26th of this month for the purpose of laying the corner stone of the new church promises to be very interesting. Every one should see this ceremony.”
Source: Cowichan Leader, 16 August 1905
Here is the Grand Master of British Columbia’s report of the cornerstone ceremony at St. John’s Church:
“…….On the 26th of August, 1905, I convened a Special Communication of Grand Lodge at Duncan’s, B.C., for the purpose of laying the corner stone of St. John’s Church. A large number of Brethren from Duncan’s, Victoria, and other parts of the Province, took part in the ceremony. M.W. Bro. C. Ensor Sharp delivered a most eloquent address. During the ceremony I was presented with a magnificent silver trowel which I will always treasure as a memento of one of the pleasantest duties of my Masonic experience. In the afternoon the ladies of St. John’s Church entertained the Grand Lodge and other visitors at afternoon tea, and the members of Temple Lodge provided carriages and took us for a drive through the magnificent country surrounding Duncan’s……….
Report of Grand Master, M.W. Bro. Thomas J. Armstrong, Grand Lodge, 21 June 1906, Victoria, B.C.”
Source: Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of B.C., A.F. & A.M., 1906, page 8
“……………..On August 26th, 1905, I visited Temple Lodge No. 33, Duncan’s. They had no work on, but a social session was held and a very pleasant evening spent……….
Report of Grand Master, M.W. Bro. Thomas J. Armstrong, Grand Lodge, 21 June 1906, Victoria, B.C.”
Source: Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of B.C., A.F. & A.M., 1906, page 11
“PARISH HISTORY ——————— Canon Leakey Refers To Beginnings of Anglican Church in Duncan ———————————————–
The services at St. John [the] Baptist church on the day of its patron saint were marked by a sermon by the Rev. Canon Leakey at evensong.
His texts were those used by the then Bishop of Columbia and himself at the consecration services in 1906, namely, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make His paths straight.” and “Let us go on to perfection.”
The canon recalled his first impression of Duncan in 1886, when there were two farms, namely those of Messrs. W.C. Duncan and James Evans, and one shack, that of Mr. E.B. McKay. Elsewhere there was dense dark forest.
Services were conducted by himself as vicar of St. Peter’s Quamichan, in Mr. Duncan’s house, until 1890, when the old agricultural hall was utilized. Then the Masons offered their hall and finally, it was decided to build a church, which stood in a veritable wilderness and, like its patron saint, cried its message.
On August 26th, 1905, the corner stone of the building was laid by the Most Worshipful the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of B.C. It is of interest to record that General Currie on that occasion acted as Grand Marshal. In December of that year the church was opened for service, and about June 22nd 1906, it was consecrated.
Canon Leakey said their gratitude was due to the Masonic fraternity for their interest in the church in the past.
From its name the church spoke of repentance and urged them to go on to perfection. These yearly stages should be marked in their own lives.”
Source: Cowichan Leader, 8 July 1920, page 8
Here are the records of a report given to Temple Lodge, No.33 by M.W.B. Claude Green in February 1979 regarding research he done on the history of St. John’s Anglican Church.
M. Wor Bro Green told the Lodge that his wife has been compiling a “scrap book” and had two identical newspaper pictures giving conflicting accounts of corner stones being laid by local Freemasons. Under one picture it said it was the laying of the corner stone of the first Duncan Hospital which took place on October 22nd, 1910. The other picture stated it was the laying of the cornerstone of St John’s Church, Duncan, B.C. on August 26th, 1905.
Bro Green said his wife was able to prove the correct account of the two pictures was the laying of the corner stone of the first Duncan Hospital by virtue of the fact that two small girls shown in the background were the daughters of our late Wor Bro Wm Dwyer who are approximately the same age as Mrs Green who was born in 1904. The two girls in the background of the picture are approximately six and seven years of age. Mrs Green has verified this with the two Dwyer girls.
Bro Green stated he was aware of the laying of the corner stones of the first Duncan Hospital and our present Masonic Building but had no knowledge of the St John’s Church corner stone. He stated he had found the Church corner stone text but it did not have the customary A.F. & A.M. and Square and Compass inscribed upon it he had therefore doubted that the corner stone had been laid under the auspices of the local Freemasons.
Not satisfied Bro Green looked up the Minutes of 1905 and found that an Emergent Meeting dated August 4th, 1905 was called especially to make arrangements for the laying of the said corner stone and that Grand Master Armstrong had been invited to officiate at the ceremony.
An Emergent Meeting was held in the Lodge on Saturday, August 26th, 1905 at 8:00 p.m. in which the Grand Master paid an Official Visit to Temple Lodge. No mention being made of the laying of the corner stone.
Research of the Grand Lodge Proceedings dated 1906 Bro Green found that Grand Master reported in his Address to the Brethren of his Official Visit to Temple Lodge on the evening of August 26th 1905. Still no mention of the laying stone of St. John’s Church.
Further research in the Grand Lodge Proceedings and under the heading of Special Events Grand Master Armstrong states he had laid the corner stone at St John’s Church, Duncan’s in the afternoon of Saturday, August 26th, 1905. Thus a Masonic laying of the corner stone at St John’s Church had now been established.
Unfortunately, the Lodge Secretary of that period failed to record that Temple Lodge #33 together with the Grand Master had participated in that historic event.
Bro Green asked permission of the Lodge to Insert in the proper space of the Minutes of 1905 a memorandum recording this important historic event. This was immediately authorized.
The Worshipful Master thanked Bro. Green and his wife for the trouble takes by them in order to establish the correct version of the two newspaper pictures and the consequent research undertaken to establish the fact that the St John’s Church corner stone had been laid under the auspices of the local Freemasons and the Grand Master of that period.
Of interest the St John’s Church corner stone bears the following inscription:-
Aug 26, 1905
These are the initials of the following Latin sentences-
AD MAGNA DEO GLORIA
which translated says
TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD
There being no further business the Lodge was closed at 8:00 p.m. in Short Form.
Peace and harmony prevailing.”
Source: Temple Lodge, No.33 Minute Book, Meeting of 13 February 1979
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?