The City of Duncan was created in 1912 on land that was formerly part of the Municipality of North Cowichan.

Before the incorporation of the City of Duncan, the following members of Temple Lodge, No.33 served as Reeve of North Cowichan (note: the title “Reeve” was changed to “Mayor” in 1970] and as members of North Cowichan Council. Also see our Mayors of Duncan page.

Alexander Chalmers Aitken, Reeve of North Cowichan 1909-1911, 1923.
Alexander Chalmers Aitken, Reeve of North Cowichan 1909-1911, 1923. (photo courtesy of Municipality of North Cowichan)
James McLeod Campbell, circa 1907 as Reeve of North Cowichan
James McLeod Campbell, circa 1907 as Reeve of North Cowichan (photo courtesy of Municipality of North Cowichan)
J. Islay Mutter, Mayor of Duncan and Reeve of North Cowichan
J. Islay Mutter, Mayor of Duncan and Reeve of North Cowichan (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
Thomas Anthony Wood, Reeve of North Cowichan 1896-1899
Thomas Anthony Wood, Reeve of North Cowichan 1896-1899. (photo courtesy of Municipality of North Cowichan)

The following members of Temple Lodge, No.33 have been elected to North Cowichan Council:

James Whittome in his office, circa 1914
James Henry Whittome in his office, circa 1914 (photo courtesy of Cowichan Estates Ltd.)
Christopher Dobson, circa 1928
Christopher Dobson, circa 1928. (photo copyright Temple Lodge, No.33)
William Mordaunt Dwyer, circa 1911
William Mordaunt Dwyer, circa 1911 (photo copyright Temple Lodge, No.33)

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?