Duncan Baseball Team, 1905

Duncan baseball team, 1905. Back row (L to R) W. Gatt, Alec Gatt, Hope Herd, Jess Gidley (his father William Gidley was a Charter Member of Temple Lodge No. 33), Andrew Peterson. Front Row (L t R) David Alexander (his father David Alexander was a member of Temple Lodge), Kenneth F. Duncan, Ormond T. Smythe, W.R.J. Smythe, Charles Grassie (photo courtesy of Larry Kier - private collection)

Duncan resident Larry Kier has kindly provided Temple Lodge No. 33 with a copy of this photo from his personal collection. The photo shows the Duncan baseball team in 1905.

Duncan baseball team, 1905. Back row (L to R) W. Gatt, Alec Gatt, Hope Herd, Jess Gidley (his father William Gidley was a Charter Member of Temple Lodge No. 33), Andrew Peterson. Front Row (L t R) David Alexander (his father David Alexander was a member of Temple Lodge), Kenneth F. Duncan, Ormond T. Smythe, W.R.J. Smythe, Charles Grassie (photo courtesy of Larry Kier - private collection)
Duncan baseball team, 1905. Back row (L to R) W. Gatt, Alec Gatt, Hope Herd, Jess Gidley (his father William Gidley was a Charter Member of Temple Lodge No. 33), Andrew Peterson. Front Row (L t R) David Alexander (his father David Alexander was a member of Temple Lodge), Kenneth F. Duncan, Ormond T. Smythe, W.R.J. Smythe, Charles Grassie (photo courtesy of Larry Kier – private collection)

This photo shows the following members of Temple Lodge No. 33:

It also shows two sons of Temple Lodge No. 33 members:

Here are some later photos of the Duncan baseball team of 1905:

Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920
Kenneth F. Duncan, circa 1920 (Photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
Ormond Towers Smythe, Mayor of Duncan 1914-16, 1923
Ormond Towers Smythe, Mayor of Duncan 1914-16, 1923 (photo courtesy of City of Duncan)

Here are some buildings associated with members of the 1905 Duncan baseball team:

Cowichan Merchants Building in downtown Duncan. Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson were among the three partners who built this landmark building in 1912.
Cowichan Merchants Building in downtown Duncan. Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson were among the three partners who built this landmark building in 1912.
Duncan and Christmas Heritage Mall, 149 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
Duncan and Christmas Heritage Mall, 149 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
The former Duncan Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street, now the Old Firehall Wine Bar. Built in 1923; designed by architect Douglas James
The former Duncan Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street, now the Old Firehall Wine Bar. Built in 1923; designed by architect Douglas James and built during Ormond T. Smythe‘s send term as Mayor of Duncan.

Here is a photo of David Alexander Sr. planting the Confederation Tree which still stands at Government Street and Jubilee Street. Alexander Street and Alexander Elementary School are named for David Alexander.

David Alexander planting the Confederation Tree, Government Street, Duncan, B.C. on 1 July 1927.
David Alexander planting the Confederation Tree, Government Street, Duncan, B.C. on 1 July 1927. Hugh George Savage is on the right of the photo.

Here is the Confederation Tree today:

Confederation Tree, Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Planted 1 July 1927 by David Alexander
Confederation Tree, Government Street, Duncan, B.C. Planted 1 July 1927 by David Alexander

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything in this post?

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.