Each month Temple Lodge No. 33 features a deceased Brother of the Lodge as a way of highlighting the contributions Freemasons have made to Duncan and the surrounding Cowichan Valley.
Our Featured Deceased member of Temple Lodge No. 33 for October 2017 is Thomas Anthony Wood (1857-1945), a farmer and Reeve of North Cowichan from 1896-1899.
Thomas Anthony Wood was also first president of the Duncan Board of Trade, now the Duncan Chamber of Commerce, being elected to that position in 1909.
For more information, see our webpage on Thomas Anthony Wood.
Thomas Anthony Wood is buried in St. Peter’s Quamichan Anglican cemetery.
Each month Temple Lodge No.33 features a Deceased Member as a way of highlighting Masonic history in Duncan and the Cowichan Valley.
Our featured Deceased Member for January 2017 is James McLeod Campbell (1865-1961), building contractor who also served as Reeve of North Cowichan in 1907 and as a Councilor on the first Duncan City Council in 1912.
As a building contractor, James McLeod Campbell built St. John’s Anglican Church, 486 Jubilee Street in downtown Duncan, in 1905.
James McLeod Campbell is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, North Cowichan.
Would you like to leave a question or comment about anything on this page?
The City of Duncan was created in 1912 on land that was formerly part of the Municipality of North Cowichan.
Before the incorporation of the City of Duncan, the following members of Temple Lodge, No.33 served as Reeve of North Cowichan (note: the title “Reeve” was changed to “Mayor” in 1970] and as members of North Cowichan Council. Also see our Mayors of Duncan page and our Reeves of North Cowichan page.
- Alexander Chalmers Aitken (1868-1923) Reeve: 1909, 1910, 1911, 1923; Councillor: 1907, 1919
- James McLeod Campbell (1865-1961) Reeve: 1908; Councillor: 1904,1905,1906,1907. W.B. Campbell also served on the City of Duncan Council
- J. Islay Mutter (1874-1950) Reeve: 1914, 1918, 1919; Councillor: 1908, 1909, 1910. J. Islay Mutter also served as Mayor of Duncan, the only person to be elected Mayor of Duncan and Reeve of North Cowichan.
- Thomas Anthony Wood (1857-1945) Reeve: 1896,1897, 1898,1899; Councillor: 1892-1895, 1913
The following members of Temple Lodge, No.33 have been elected to North Cowichan Council:
- Alexander Chalmers Aitken (1868-1923) – Councillor: 1907, 1919
- James McLeod Campbell (1865-1961) – Councillor: 1904,1905,1906,1907
- Christopher Dobson – Councillor: 1901,1902
- William Mourdant Dwyer – Councillor: 1913
- James Islay Mutter (1874-1950) – Councillor: 1908, 1909, 1910
- Thomas Joseph Paull – Councillor: 1925-26, 1928, 1929-30
- Charles William Sillence – Councillor: 1917
- James Henry Whittome (1871-1936) – Councillor: 1901
- Thomas Anthony Wood (1857-1945) – Councillor: 1892-1895, 1913
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?