Bro. Hubert Keast (1870-1911 was initiated in Temple Lodge, No.33 on 11 March 1905. He operated a livery stable in downtown Duncan, possibly on the present site of 45 Craig Street (now Just Jake’s Restaurant).

45 Craig Street, Duncan, B.C. Built in 1922 for Harold F. Prevost's stationery business. It is now Just Jake's Restaurant.
45 Craig Street, Duncan, B.C. Built in 1922 for Harold F. Prevost on what may have been the site of Hubert Keast’s livery stables It is now Just Jake’s Restaurant.

Here is a brief biographical sketch of Brother Hubert Keast taken from Temple Lodge, No.33 records and from local newspaper reports of his death and funeral:

“…..Application was received from Mr. Hubert Keast aged 34 profession livery stable keeper Residence Duncans. On motion was received and W.M. appointed Bros. D. Alexander, E.J. Hearn and J. Evans as investigating committee……”

(Source: Temple Lodge, No.33 Minute Book, Regular Meeting of 11 February 1905)

…..Committee on Hubert Keast reported favourable. Committee on A.H. Lomas reported favourable……..

Ballot was then taken on Hubert Keast and on examination was declared favourable. Ballot was then taken on Alfred Hilton Lomas and on examination was declared favourable……..

The Lodge was then opened in the E.A.P. Degree to initiate Mr. Hubert Keast and the candidate being properly prepared was initiated in the E.A.P. degree…….”

(Source: Temple Lodge, No.33 Minute Book, Regular Meeting of 11 March 1905)

Here are the Cowichan Leader newspaper reports of Hubert Keast’s death and funeral:

“Death of Mr. H. Keast

It is with deep regret that we announce the news of the death of Mr. Hubert Keast who passed away at 12.30 p.m. on Wednesday 16th August. Mr. Keast was one of the most widely known and highly respected residents of the Cowichan District was born at Victoria, B.C., on the 30th July 1870.

He came to Duncan about eighteen years ago, and after working some time on a farm on Quamichan Lake took over the Pioneer Livery Stables, which he has since conducted with marked success. Mr. Keast has been in poor health for some time, and while his death was not altogether unexpected, yet it came as a shock to his large circle of friends. He leaves a widow and numerous relatives to mourn his loss.”

(Source: Cowichan Leader, 17 August 1911 – from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)

“Funeral Of The Late Mr. H. Keast

The remains of the late Mr. Hubert Keast were brought down to Duncan from Cowichan Lake on Thursday last for interment on the following day. The funeral took place at St. Peter’s Church, Quamichan , the Rev. F.G. Christmas performing the burial service which was largely attended by the relations and friends of [the] deceased.

The late Mr. Keast was a member of Temple Lodge and was accorded a Masonic funeral, after the burial service had been read by the vicar of St. John Baptist Church, the Master of the Lodge proceeded with the impressive Masonic burial rites.

The widow, mother and sisters of deceased were present in the church and the pall bearers were Messrs. T. Pitt, Dobson, J. McL. Campbell, A.H. Lomas, F.H. Price and D. Alexander. Amongst the members of the lodge who were present were W.M. W. Dwyer, Messrs. J. Hall, Seymour Green, J. Islay Mutter, T. Pitt, Lomas, Kenneth Duncan, McMillan, A. Peterson, Anderson, Van Norman, E. Stillwell, etc.

The floral tributes of sympathy and respect were very numerous, many being exceptionally beautiful, among which may be mentioned: wreath, Jaynes and Corfield, spray Mr. Pimbury, wreath W.P. Jaynes, cross employees, wreath Mr. and Mrs. John Hirsch, pillow J. Blackstock, wreath Mr. and Mrs. Dickie, wreath Basil Kier, wreath Mr. and Mrs. Whittome, wreath Mrs. Mariner and family, wreath H.P. Long, spray R.H. Whidden, cross Eddie and Dore Lomas, wreath Mr. and Mrs W.E. Blythe, wreath Mr. and Mrs. McKiel and Mrs. Costin, wreath Messrs. Stelly and Gieger, wreath Gizeh Temple A.A.O.N.M.S., wreath Columbia Royalty No. 120 G.R.S. and three very handsome wreaths, anonymous.”

(Source: Cowichan Leader, 24 August 1911 – from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?