Alexander Alfred Green’s business premises was located at 1210-1216 Broad Street, in a building which was built for him in 1889 by architect/builder Thomas Trounce, a Past Grand Master.
Here is a brief biography of Alexander Alfred Green taken from the contemporary newspaper reports of his death and funeral:
“DEATH OF A.A. GREEN
An Old-Timer and Respected Citizen Passes Away
Shortly before seven o’clock, yesterday morning, Mr. A.A. Green, a respected citizen, passed over to the majority, after a protracted illness.
The deceased had been connected with firm of Wells, Fargo & Co., in this city, since 1873, and with the banking institution of Gareche, Green & Co. He was born at Ixworth, Suffolk, England in the year 1833, and educated at the Woodbridge grammar school. For a few years he studied medicine under his father, the late Dr. Green, but about the year 1860, during an Australian gold craze, he left his home for that country to seek his fortune. He amassed considerable capital at the gold fields, but was attracted to California some years afterwards. Getting tired of the diggings he went to Nevada, where he joined the Wells Fargo Express Co. Having spent a short time in San Francisco he went home on a visit, and in England married the present Mrs. Green, the issue of the marriage being six children, who, today, mourn the loss of an affectionate father.
In 1873 he returned from England, and, entered into partnership with the late Mr. Francis Gareche in the bank now bearing their names. For the past couple of years Mr. Green had suffered with an internal cancer, but not till six weeks ago did he take to his bed. His sufferings were intense, but he bore all with Christian fortitude. In politics Mr. Green never took a prominent part. He was a most respected member of the Masonic brotherhood, the founder and president of the Protestant Orphans’ Home, and prominent figure in several of the local friendly and benevolent societies. Many friends visited Gyppeswyk, the family residence, yesterday, and brought all the consolation and comfort possible under the trying circumstances.”
(Source:Daily Colonist, 22 September 1891, page 5, column 3)
“DEATH OF A.A. GREEN
Funeral Services of More Than Ordinarily Impressive Character
The funeral of the late Mr. A.A. Green, which took place yesterday afternoon, was attended by very many sorrowing friends of all classes of society, who became one in mourning the death of a kind and sympathetic friend and a public and philanthropic citizen. Between three and four hundred called at the family residence, Gyppeswyk, during the morning, to offer such consolation as they might to the bereaved family, and view the well known face of the departed friend. The body was enclosed in a massive oak casket, highly polished, with gold and silver mountings, which soon became partially hidden in the wealth of flowers which filled the house with perfume. The floral pieces, which filled every inch of room in one hack in the funeral cortege, were of rare beauty and great variety. The cards attached bore the following, as well as many other names: Dr. Milne and Mrs. Milne, Mrs. Gray, Mrs. Kurtz, Mr. Saunders, Mr. Kelly, Mr. McNeill, Mr. A. Keast, Mr. E.A. McQuade, Mrs. Wm. Wilson, Miss Annie Munro, Mrs. W.C. Ward, Mrs. H. Kent, Messrs. Geo. And Louis Garesche, Mrs. W. Ridgeway-Wilson, Mrs. Dr. R. Harris, Mrs. Chantrell, Mrs. Robert Ward, Mr. Coltart, Miss Spooner, Mrs. Arthur Lewis, Mr. J.D. Pemberton, the Misses Pemberton, Mr. A.R. Milne, Ladies’ Committee P.O. Home, Mr. and Mrs. Goffin, Mr. Francis Bourchier, Orphans of the Home, Mr. Chas. Dickenson, Mrs. Hibben, Messrs. Redon & Hartnagle, Ald. F.G. Richards, jr., Mr. Bishop, Mr. D. Carr, Mrs. Nicholles, Dr. Duncan, Mrs. Eli Harrison, the gentlemen of Garesche, Green & Co., Capt. Clarke, Mrs. John Irving, Miss Cridge, Mrs. Laundy, Mrs. Alex. Munro, Mrs. Henry Croft, Mrs. D.W. Higgins, Mrs. Harvey, Mr. Robert Irving, Mrs. Nuttall, Mrs. Percy Brown, Mr. Aaron Lewis, Mrs. Dunsmuir, and Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Earle.
The funeral services at both the Reformed Episcopal Church and the grave were conducted by the Venerable Bishop [Edward Cridge], assisted by the Rev. C.E. Dobbs, and at the church by the full choir. Mayor Grant, Mr. Thos. Earle, M.P., Mr. G.H. Burns, Mr. Wm. Wilson, Hon. D.W. Higgins, Mr. W.C. Ward, Mr. Henry Saunders and Major Nicholles were the pall-bearers, while the chief mourners at the cemetery were the sons of the deceased, Masters Ray, Frank and Albert Green; Mr. F.H. Worlock and Master Ray Worlock, Mr. George and Mr. L. Garesche, Mr. J.B. Chantrell, Mr. J. Coltart, Mr. B. Goward, Mr. A. Haynes and Mr. D. Steele.”
(Source: Daily Colonist, 25 September 1891, page 3)
Alexander Alfred Green is buried in Ross Bay Cemetery, Victoria, B.C.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?