As part of our Vancouver Island Masonic History Project series on Buildings Built For Freemasons, here is a page on the Green Building, also known as the Exchange Building, at 1210-1216 Broad Street at Trounce Alley in Victoria, B.C.
This Heritage Registered building has several Masonic connections. It was built in 1889 by architect/builder Thomas Trounce (Past Grand Master 1885-86, a member of Victoria-Columbia Lodge No.1) for Alexander Alfred Green (a member of Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1).
After Alexander Alfred Green‘s death in 1891, this building became the site of Victoria’s first telephone exchange, set up by Robert Burns McMicking (Past Grand Master, 1894-95) and Edgar Crow Baker (Past Grand Master, 1883-85).
Thomas Trounce also built a second building, a mirror image of this building, on the opposite side of Trounce Alley. The second building burned down in a fire in 1910 and was replaced by the Central Building, 620 View Street.
This building was restored in the 1990’s by Victoria architect John Keay.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?