John Dick first appears in Temple Lodge records in 1923, He remained a member of Temple Lodge, as a Master Mason, until his death in 1941. He served as Lodge Chaplain in 1925, Junior Deacon in 1926, Senior Deacon in 1927 and Inner Guard in 1928.

Here is a brief biography of Brother John Dick taken from local newspaper reports of his death and funeral:

“Dick – The death of Mr. John Dick at his home on Coronation Avenue at 6 a.m. on Monday came as a great shock, not only because he was widely known, but because few realized that he was seriously ill.

Early this year his health failed for almost the first time in his life. He was in hospital for a month, then came home, but was unable to carry on his work as an electrician.

On Sunday June 15 he had a serious relapse. His wife’s sister Miss Maud Thomson, a registered nurse, came down from Oliver to nurse him, and his son, Mr. John Dick, jun., a member of the crew of the survey vessel William J. Stewart, was called from Bella Bella, arriving on Friday.

Until a few minutes before his death Mr. Dick appeared to be gaining steadily, but his heart suddenly gave out from the effects of pneumonia and chronic pleurisy.

He leaves his widow; two children John and Veronica; three sisters: Mrs. James Dewar, Saltspring Island, and Miss A.M. Dick, Victoria; and four brothers: William in the Eastern USA, Frank at Langley Prairie, Tom in California and Robert in England.

The funeral will be held at 2:30 this afternoon at St. Peter’s Church, Quamichan, with the Rev. Canon T.M. Hughes and the Rev. H.T. Archbold jointly officiating and the Davis Funeral Service directing.

Mr. Dick was born nearly 54 years ago at Blantyre, near Glasgow, Scotland. He served his apprenticeship as an electrician in Glasgow, and worked for the Glasgow Co-operative Association.

Four years before the last war he came to Victoria, working for the British Columbia Telephone Co. , and at the Bamberton cement plant. He enlisted in 1915 with the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and was discharged as a sergeant. He tried to enlist again last year when B. Co., No. 13 Field Ambulance, R.F. was formed but he was over age.

Right after the war he married Violet Crafer at Seven Oaks, Kent, and they came to Cowichan. He did not immediately go into business as an electrician, chicken ranching for a time with Mr. Paul Clough, Somenos, and working temporarily for the B.C. Telephone Co.

His first wife died in June 1924 and in 1927 he married Miss Hattie Thomson, Duncan.

To many people Mr. Dick was probably best known as a singer. He had a deep, well trained voice and used it generously to give pleasure to others. He sang in St. John’s choir, was soloist for several years at the Christian Science Church and was a tower of strength to all male or mixed choirs organized here, being president of The Choristers when he died.

He did a great deal to promote Cowichan interest in the Upper Island Musical Festival at Nanaimo, being its representative here for the last nine years. In 1932 he himself won the men’s bass solo at the festival.

He was one of the supporters of the Cowichan Caledonian Society and always took a prominent part in Burns night celebrations. A lover of fellowship, he belonged to the Masons, Elks and Canadian Legion.

In Scotland he was a keen soccer player and here he enjoyed billiards and lawn bowling.”
(Source: Cowichan Leader, 26 June 1941 – from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)

“Dick – The funeral of Mr. John Dick was held at St. Peter’s Church, Quamichan, on Thursday afternoon. The Rev. Canon T.M. Hughes and the Rev. H.T. Archbold took the service.

The church was filled and the choir was composed of members of the Duncan Choristers, whose president Mr. Dick was. Mr. B.W. Clements was at the organ. The hymn sung was “O Love That Will Not Let Me Go.” There were many lovely flowers.

The honorary pallbearers were: Dr. Primrose Wells, Mr. P. Wilkinson, Mr. A.W. Johnson, Mr. W.H. Truesdale and Lts. P.F. Thornton and H.F.B. Stamer (absentees). The active pallbearers were: Messrs. P. Clough, C.W. O’Neill, C. Howard, H.L. Burgess, Hugh Savage and C.L. Stephenson.

The Davis Funeral Service had charge.”

(Source: Cowichan Leader, 3 July 1941 – from Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives collections)

John Dick is buried in St. Peter’s Quamichan Anglican Cemetery, North Cowichan.

John Dick grave, St. Peter's Quamichan Anglican cemetery, North Cowichan.
John Dick grave, St. Peter’s Quamichan Anglican cemetery, North Cowichan.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?