901-905 Government Street, at the north east corner of Government Street and Courtney Street in downtown Victoria, was built in 1858 as Victoria’s first hotel. It is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, brick building in Victoria.
This building’s connection to a Freemason began circa 1900, when the building was purchased by Stephen Jones, later Grand Master of B.C. & Yukon. Stephen Jones was a Victoria hotelier and he apparently acquired this building with the intention of tearing it down and replacing it with a newer building.
Instead of demolishing this building, Stephen Jones added a new building to the rear of this existing building in 1913. The newer building is still standing as 600-610 Courtney Street.