William Henry Hayward served as the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Cowichan between 1907 and 1918. He returned to England permanently in 1919 but remained a member of Temple Lodge, No. 33 until his death in 1932.
Here is a brief biography of William Henry Hayward taken from local newspaper reports of his death and funeral:
“Major William Henry Hayward, who died in London on Sunday, was born at Dover, England in October 1867 and educated at Dover College, Sutton Vallence and Crystal Palace School of Engineers. In 1886 he migrated to Virginia and for some eight years was tobacco planting and farming in Aemilia County.
In 1894, Mr. Hayward, with his wife and their daughter, Violet, moved to Victoria and resided there for a year. Then they went to Metchosin, where he rented the Glengarry farm.
In 1900 Mr. Hayward entered provincial politics as Conservative candidate for one of the two seats then being contested for Esquimalt. He headed the poll. His opponents were the Hon. C.E. Pooley and Mr. D.W. Higgins. The last named was unseated. After dissolution in June 1903, and redistribution of seats, Esquimalt was reduced to one member. Mr. Hayward decided not to offer himself in any constituency.
He first came to Duncan in the summer of 1903, through the invitation of his friend, the late Mr. E.B. McKay. Subsequently he decided to move here and bought the Skinner estate at Quamichan Lake. On part of this was his home.
Elected in Cowichan
Early in 1907, Mr. Hayward championed the Conservative cause against the late Mr. John N. Evans, Liberal, and was returned; in 1909 he again defeated Mr. Evans; and in 1912 he was unsuccessfully opposed by the late Mr. Alex. Herd, Liberal.
In 1912 he was appointed chairman of the Royal Commission on Agriculture and as such visited the British Isles and European countries.
In August 1915, Mr. Hayward became paymaster of the 1st Canadian Pioneers. Later in the year this battalion crossed to England and early in 1916 was at the front.
In the general election of that year he was returned, as an Independent Conservative, his opponent being Mr. K.F. Duncan, who subsequently served with the C.A.M.C.
On leave of absence, early in 1917, he spoke in aid of the Red Cross and other war causes in Duncan, Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, and other centres, and attended the legislative sessions.
Work in London
The 1st Canadian Pioneers having then lost its identity, Capt. Hayward returned that summer to London, where he was attached to the Canadian Pay Office and became chairman of the advisory committee dealing with all irregular cases. He was there promoted to the rank of major.
In 1918 he resigned his seat here and, after demobilization at the end of 1919, remained in London, where his wife and daughter joined him early in 1920. They lived at Hendon.
For the past 11 years he had been in the service of the C.P.R.’s immigration and colonization branch, and had several times visited here, the last being some three years ago.
In the legislature this member for Cowichan was easily one of “the best listened to” men there. His style was informed, interesting and fluent. Swift in repartee, he was not averse to breaking a lance with anyone. His independence on some matters brought him into conflict with members of his own party. For two sessions he was deputy speaker. His chief work was associated with agricultural matters.
Work For The District
Here, anything and everything for the good of Cowichan was his business. No matter on what side of politics a constituent might be, he was assured a fair hearing and attention from Mr. Hayward.
He was closely concerned with the erection of the Dominion building. He was instrumental in obtaining the lease for the grounds of the Cowichan Agricultural Society. The Cowichan Creamery benefited by his endeavours.
He was closely associated with the developments which gave to Duncan the present public school building. In 1914 he secured an appropriation for the erection of a new provincial government office which was never built.
He did much for all kinds of sport in Cowichan and was keenly interested in cricket, tennis and polo. He belonged to the Church of England and was a member of Temple Lodge, No. 33, A.F. & A.M.”
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?