The Victoria Masonic Temple at 650 Fisgard Street was originally built in 1878 for the two Masonic Lodges in Victoria at the time (Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1 and Vancouver & Quadra Lodge, No.2) by architect John Teague, a member of Victoria’s oldest Masonic Lodge, Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1.
In 1909 a major addition was undertaken to the west end the building. The building permit for these additions, issued to the Masonic Temple Association by the City of Victoria in May 1909, describes a “three storey, brick and stone building, 6 rooms” with an estimated construction cost of $15,000. Work on the addition was started in July 1909 by contractors Dinsdale & Malcolm and completed in December 1909. The final construction cost was reported as $17,000.
The new additions were dedicated in a Masonic ceremony on 14 December 1909, attended by over 400 Freemasons.
Additional Information About the Victoria Masonic Temple, 650 Fisgard Street
- BC Archives photo – Laying the Corner Stone of the Masonic Temple, 23 April 1878
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $2,395,000; Land $1,323,000, Buildings $1,072,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $2,395,000; Land $1,250,000, Buildings $1,145,000
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?