Home > Buildings Associated With Temple Lodge, No.33 Members
DUNCAN & COWICHAN VALLEY BUILDINGS
ASSOCIATED WITH TEMPLE LODGE No. 33 MEMBERS
There are a number of buildings in Duncan and the Cowichan Valley built by, or for, members of Temple Lodge as well as buildings and sites which have connections to Temple Lodge members. There are also several buildings built by, or associated with, other Freemasons who were not Temple Lodge members.
We have included sections for:
- Downtown Duncan (see below on this page)
- Duncan Residential Districts
- Cowichan Valley - Commecial Buildings
- Cowichan Valley - residential buildings
- Mill Bay
Here are those buildings and sites we are currently aware of in:
Bistro 161, 161 Kenneth Street
Bistro 161 at 161 Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan occupies a building in which M.W.B. Claude Green operated his painting and decorating business in the 1940s. A painted sign from Claude Green's business is still visible on the east exterior wall of this building.
This family business was started by Brother Richard "Bucky" Kennett in 1947.
It is still owned and operated by the Kennett family at the corner of Craig Street and Kenneth Street in downtown Duncan.
City Hall - Craig Street at Kenneth Street, downtown Duncan
This landmark building was originally built in 1913 as the Post Office and was used as Duncan's Post Office until 1958, when Canada Post moved to its Duncan operations to the current facility on Ingram Street.
The former Post Office was used by Canada Manpower for several years but in the early 1970s it was vacant and being considered for demolition.
This maple tree was planted in 1927 by Brother David Alexander to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Confederation. The Alexander Elementary School and Alexander Street are also named after David Alexander
The Confederation Tree still stands at the interection of Government Street and Jubilee Street in downtown Duncan.
Built in 1913 by W. Brothers Thomas Pitt and Andrew H. Peterson for their business partnership, the Cowichan Merchants Ltd. which, in its day, was the largest department store on Vancouver Island north of Victoria. The building was originally designed by Victoria architect Alexander Maxwell Muir, who was also a Freemason.
The building is still a downtown Duncan landmark at the intersection of Station Street and Craig Street.
Craig Street Brew Pub - 25 Craig Street
The Craig Street Brew Pub has been operating from this building at 25 Craig Street since 2004.
Betwen 1973 and 2004, this building was Powel's Mens' Wear, a long time Duncan business started by W.B. William Bruce Powel.
This building was built circa 1893 by W.Brother Christopher Dobson to house his carriage repair and bicycle business. It later became Hudson's Hardware, operated by Walter Hudson, who was also a member of Temple Lodge No. 33. Hudson's Hardware closed in 1963 when Bro. Hudson retired.
The building now contains several businesses.
This building was designed and built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Temple Lodge, No. 33 member R.W.Bro. Hugh George Savage who published the local newspaper, the Cowichan Leader. Hugh Savage used this building as the Cowichan Leader office and printing press building.
The facade of the building has been significantly altered from its original design. The building is now two retail stores.
This building at the intersection of Craig Street and Kenneth Street was designed in 1926 by architect Douglas James for James C. Wragg, who used it as the location of his bakery business. Bro. Wragg was a member of Malahat Lodge, No. 107 in Mill Bay. He served as Mayor of Duncan from 1947-1955.
Duncan and Christmas Heritage Mall, 149 Canada Avenue
From the 1920s until 1950, this building was used by W.B. Kenneth Duncan and his business partner, Wilfred Christmas, as the location of the insurance and financial services partnership, Duncan & Christmas.
The building's current name is taken from Duncan & Christmas, the business partnership of Kenneth Duncan and Wilfred Christmas.
This building is immediately adjacent to the Duncan Masonic Temple on Canada Avenue.
This landmark building was designed by architect C. Elwood Watkins (a Freemason) for the Duncan School Board in 1913.
Duncan Emporium Building (former site - Station Street and Craig Street)
The building was demolished in 2015 after being severely damaged by a City of Duncan snowplow in 2010.
The Duncan Garage was built in 1912 as a family business by the Corfield family.
Dr. Watson Dykes horse barn, behind 163 Kenneth Street
W. Bro. Dr. Watson Dykes was a local physician in the early 20th century. He came to Duncan from Nanaimo in 1904 and was the last doctor in the area to do house calls with a horse and buggy. Dr. Dykes' horse barn is still standing behind the Sheer Essentials store at 163 Kenneth Street, nest door to Bistro 161.
E & N Railway Station , Canada Avenue
The E & N Railway station in downtown Duncan was built in 1912. The E & N Railway station master at the time it was built was W. Brother Roland Clayton Fawcett. Other Temple Lodge, No.33 members associated with the E&N Railway include Edward H. McColl, John Albert Kyle.
The building is now home to the Cowichan Valley Museum and Archives.
Fire House, 40 Ingram Street
Designed and built in 1923 by Victoria and Duncan architect Douglas James (whose brother, the Victoria architect Percy Leonard James, was a Freemason) for the Duncan Volunteer Fire Department. Members of Temple Lodge, No.33 were instrumental in creating the Duncan Volunteer Fire Department and several Temple Lodge members were serving on the Fire Department in 1923 when the Fire House was built. Bro. Ormond Towers Smythe of Temple Lodge, No.33 was Mayor of Duncan at the time the Fire House was built
Green Door, 126 Ingram Street
This City of Duncan Heritage Building was originally built in 1903 by W. Brother Samuel Robinson, a building contractor, as a residence for W.Bro. Andrew H. Peterson., who was instrumental in building the Cowichan Merchants Building with his business partner and fellow Temple Lodge, No. 33 member, Thomas Pitt.
Between 1921 and 1931 it was used by Bro. Lucien Brockway for his business, the Brockway Funeral Home.
It now contains several offices, including the constituency office of the local Member of Parliament, Jean Crowder.
Hudson Block - Station Street
The building was severely damaged by fire in 1960 and was extensively renovated afterwards.
This building was originally a bowling alley but was acquired in the 1930s by the government, which stripped out the bowling alley fixtures and sold them to a North Vancouver company. In 1946, the building was purchased by Temple Lodge, No. 33 member Bro. Walter Maxwell Hudson, who refitted it as a bowling alley, which became known as the Duncan Bowling Center.
The building is now occupied by Woodland Chinese Buffet and Westphalian Bakery (Westphalian Bakery is on our list of Recommended Businesses for Visiting Brethren).
Just Jake's Restaurant, 45 Craig Street
Originally built in 1923 for W. Brother Harold Fairfax Prevost to house his stationers business. The architect who designed this buidling was Douglas James, who also designed the Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street and the commercial buildings at 151 Craig Street , 211 Craig Street and 231 Government Street.
W. Brother William Bruce Powel later ran his clothing business, Powel's Mens Wear, from this building. Powel's Men's Wear later moved next door to the building that is now the Craig Street Pub at 25 Craig Street.
This building is now Just Jake's Restaurant, which is part of the Craig Street Pub next door. Both Just Jake's and the Craig Street Pub are on our list of Recommended Businesses for Brethren Visiting Duncan and Temple Lodge.
Masonic Temple, 163 Canada Avenue
Built in 1912 by Temple Lodge No. 33 as our Lodge building.
This building is still owned by Temple Lodge, No. 33 and has served as our Lodge building since 1912.
For many years it was a restaurant operating under the names Totem Cafe and New Totem Cafe. A fire destroyed the restaurant in 2012. The building was renovated after the fire and is now occupied by Magnolia Fashion Accessories.
St. John's Anglican Church, Jubilee Street
The contractor who built this church in 1905 was W. Bro. James McLeod Campbell. The Grand Master of B.C. laid the cornerstone of the building in a formal Masonic ceremony in 1905.
Many members of Temple Lodge, No. 33 have been parishoners of St. John's Anglican Church, including Roland Clayton Fawcett, Kenneth Duncan, James Grieg, Thomas Pitt, Hugh George Savage, John Dick, Thomas Gibbins, William H. Purver and John Homer.
161-165 Station Street - Kyle's Taxi Company
Bro. John Albert Kyle started Kyle Taxi in this building about 1920 and operated it until 1948, when he passed the business to his sons. Kyle Taxi also operated the local ambulance service. The Kyle family home is still standing at 971 Government Street. Bro. John Albert Kyle is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Somenos.
Volume One Books, 145-147-149 Kenneth Street
This building was built in 1949 by M.W. Bro. Claude Green, who intended to run his paint and contracting business on the main floor and rent out the four upstairs apartments to residential tenants.
M.W. Bro. Claude Green sold the building to a group of doctors in 1949 or 1950.
Whittome Building, Station Street
Built in 1913 by the Duncan Lodge of the I.O.O.F to replace an earlier structure which had been destoyed in a fire in 1911. This fire also destroyed the first Cowichan Merchants building next door.
This building was subsequently purchased in the 1930s by Bro. James Whittome for his real estate business. Bro. Whittome's business is still operating under the name Cowichan Estates Ltd. and still owns this building.
It has frontage on Government Street (shown in photo) and Station Street.
Also see 211 Craig Street, which was also built for James C. Wragg.