Home > Temple Lodge - Mayors of Duncan
TEMPLE LODGE No. 33
MEMBERS WHO HAVE SERVED AS
MAYOR of DUNCAN and/or as CITY COUNCILLORS
The following members of Temple Lodge, No. 33 and Malahat Lodge, No. 107 have served as Mayor of Duncan or on Duncan City Council:
Wor. Bro. Kenneth Forrest Duncan
Mayor of Duncan 1912-1913
Also see Duncan & Christmas Heritage Mall.
W.Bro. Kennneth Duncan is buried in St. Peter's Quamichan Anglican Cemetery.
Brother Ormond Towers Smythe
Mayor of Duncan 1914-1916, 1923
City Councillor 1912-1914, 1920-22, 1924
The Old Duncan Fire Hall at 40 Ingram Street (on our list of Buildings Associated With Temple Lodge Members) was was designed and built by architect Douglas James for the City of Duncan during Bro. Smythe's term as Mayor of Duncan.
Ormond Towers Smythe is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Somenos.
Rt. Wor. Bro. Thomas Pitt
Mayor of Duncan 1914-1916, 1924
City Councillor 1914, 1922-1924
Rt. Wor. Bro Thomas Pitt is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, North Cowichan.
Brother J. Islay Mutter
Mayor of Duncan 1924-28
Reeve of North Cowichan 1914, 1918, 1919.
J.Islay Mutter is buried in St. Mary's Somenos Anglican Cemetery, North Cowichan.
Wor. Bro. Harold Fairfax Prevost
Mayor of Duncan 1929-1935
City Councillor 1919-1921
W.Bro. Hsrold F. Prevost is buried in St. Peter's Quamichan Anglican Cemetery.
Wor Bro. James Grieg
Mayor of Duncan 1936-1939
City Councillor 1940-1943
W.Bro. James Grieg is buried in St. Peter's Quamichan Anglican Cemetery.
Wor. Bro. George Henry Savage
Mayor of Duncan 1943-1946
City Councillor 1937-1942
George Henry Savage is buried in St. Mary's Somenos Anglican Cemetery, North Cowichan.
Bro. James Chesterfield Wragg
Mayor of Duncan 1947-1955
A member of Malahat Lodge, No. 107, Mill Bay, B.C.
Bro. Ken Paskin
Mayor of Duncan 1974-1979. Duncan City Councillor 1972-74 and 1981-82.
Bro. Ken Paskin was a member of Malahat Lodge, No. 107 in Mill Bay, B.C.
His term as Mayor saw the development of Duncan Manor seniors housing, Centennial Park, Cowichan Community Center and the conversion of the former downtown Duncan Post Office into Duncan City Hall.
Bro. Douglas William Barker, D.S.M., C.D.
Mayor of Duncan 1983-1986, also a member of Duncan City Council 1976-83.
Bro. Douglas William Barker was also a member of United Service Lodge, No.24 (now United Peninsula Lodge, No.24)
His term of office saw start of floral baskets in downtown Duncan, Duncan Farmers Market.
Douglas William Barker is buried in St. Mary's Somenos Anglican Cemetery, North Cowichan.
The following members of Temple Lodge, No.33 and other Malahat Lodge, No 107 in Mill Bay, B.C. are known to have served on Duncan City Council:
- Douglas William Barker, D.S.M. - 1976-83. Mayor of Duncan, 1983-86.
- Gordon M. Berry - 1970-76
- Robert Keddie Cairns - 1942-43, 1947-56,1959-62
- James McLeod Campbell - 1912-14,1916,1918-19,1925
- Wilfred Taylor Corbishley - 1929-36
- Herbert William Dickie - 1919-22, 1925-28
- James Grieg - 1940-43
- Alexander Stuart Hadden - 1923-24
- John Homer - 1971-85
- Walter Maxwell Hudson - we're currently confirming dates he served
- Joseph Kerrone - 1956-60
- James Farley LeQuesne - 1947-58
- Martin Kurtas Lukaitis - 1967-2002
- Charles William O'Neill - 1917
- Ken Paskin - 1972-74, 1981-82. Mayor of Duncan 1974-79. A member of Malahat Lodge, No. 107, Mill Bay, B.C.
- Thomas Pitt - 1914, 1922-24. Mayor of Duncan 1914-1916, 1924
- Harold Fairfax Prevost - 1919-21. Mayor of Duncan 1929-1935
- George Henry Savage - 1937-42. Mayor of Duncan 1943-1946
- Ormond Towers Smythe - 1912-14, 1920-22, 1924. Mayor of Duncan 1914-1916, 1923
The following members of Temple Lodge, No. 33 have been made Freemen of the City of Duncan for their services to the city: