ST. PETER'S QUAMICHAN, ANGLICAN CHURCH & CEMETERY
JOHN EDWARD HALL
Brother John Edward Hall (14 March 1875 - 8 July 1944) joined Temple Lodge, No. 33 in 1901 and remained a member of the Lodge until his death in 1944.
His Petition for Initiation was received at the Regular Meeting of 3 August 1901 and he was Initiated on 2 November 1901.
Prior to the First World War Brother Hall worked as a financial, insurance and real estate agent in Duncan.
He served in France during World War 1 and was seriously wounded, possibly due to a poison gas attack. As noted in his obituary (see below), he suffered from the effects of his wartime injuries for the rest of his life.
Here is some biographical information on Bro. John Edward Hall taken from various sources:
"....Petition of John Hall for the degrees in Masonry recommended by C. Dobson and C.H. Dickie. Application referred to a committee consisting of Bros. James Evans, J.M. Campbell and J. Maitland-Dougall...."
Source: Temple Lodge Minute Book, Regular Meeting of 3 August 1901
“....Report of Committee on Petition of John E. Hall reported favourably and on motion the candidate was duly balloted for resulting favourably....the Lodge proceeded to confer the degree of Entered Apprentice Mason on John E. Hall.....”
Source: Temple Lodge, No.33 Minute Book, Regular meeting of 2 November 1901
Here is Bro. Hall's obituary in the local Cowichan Leader newspaper:
“Hall – A resident of Duncan for the past 50 years passed away on Sunday morning in Duncan Hospital in the person of Mr. John Edward Hall.
Born in Gravesend, Kent, England on March 14, 1873, Mr. Hall, then 16, came here with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hall, one brother, the late Mr. Herbert Hall, and two sisters, Mrs.T.M. Jackson, Saltspring Island and Miss Beatrice M. Hall, Maple Bay Road.
Another brother, Harold, arrived later from Siam, and died here some years ago. Mr. Herbert Hall was accidentally drowned in the Skeena River while on a survey trip.
Prior to the outbreak of the first Great War, Mr. Hall was a financial, real estate and insurance agent in Duncan. He joined the Royal Canadian Regiment at Esquimalt in 1914 and went to Bermuda almost immediately. In 1915-16 he served in France in the line with that unit. He was then attached to the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade H.Q. staff, anti-gas section. Later in 1916 he was invalided to England and for a time was in charge of the baling department of the army surplus baggage depot at Salisbury. His next post was with the Paymaster General’s Department (Pay and Allowances Board). He was demobilized in September 1919.
Returning to Duncan he followed various light occupations but suffered to some extent from the effects of his wartime service. Some 10 years ago he retired from work. He and his brother lived where Duncan Grammar School now is. Later, the improved Island Highway disclosed his home, just north of the city boundary.
While he lived quietly, Mr. Hall had a keen interest in the affairs of Cowichan. He made many friends and enjoyed the respect of all. He was a member of Temple Lodge, No. 33, A.F. & A.M.
Besides his two sisters, he is survived by a nephew, Mr. J. Jackson, Campbell River, and a niece. Mrs. H.C. Cleaver, Duncan. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at St. Peter’s Church, Quamichan, with interment in the church yard.”
Source: Cowichan Leader, 13 July 1944
“Hall – Funeral services for Mr. John Edward Hall, who died in Duncan Hospital on Sunday, July 9, aged 69, were held at St. Peter’s Quamichan last Wednesday afternoon. The Rev. Canon T. M. Hughes officiated and Mr. E.C. Trench was organist. Hymns sung were “Abide With Me” and “Peace, Perfect Peace.”
The coffin was covered with the Union Jack as Mr. Hall was a veteran of World War 1. Pallbearers were Messrs. R.W. Whittome, R. Boyd Wallis, E.W. Bazett, Trevor Bazett and Gerald Jackson (Campbell River), nephew of Mr. Hall. Honorary pallbearers were Messrs. D.W. Brookbank and A. Ronald Wilson, Davis Funeral Service had charge of arrangements.
Mr. Hall was a member of Woodmen of the World, which had not previously been mentioned.”
Source: Cowichan Leader, 20 July 1944