On 23 January 2017 the Temple Lodge No.33 Historian and webmaster, W.B. Mark Anderson, attended a lecture at the
Congregation Emanu-El synagogue in Victoria which focused on a University of Victoria Anthropology course, ANTH 395, which is using the Victoria Jewish Cemetery as a teaching aid for archaeological methods. (April 2017 Update: ANTH 395 has been reclassified as ANTH 367)
One of the projects this course is undertaking is to identify the unmarked burial plots of the
Victoria Jewish Cemetery and identify the people whose grave locations have been forgotten.
The graves of Harry Burns and Lewis Lewis in Victoria Jewish Cemetery both display the Masonic Square and Compasses
One of those unmarked graves is that of M.W.B.
Marcus Wolfe (died 1896), Past Grand Master, whose grave in Victoria Jewish Cemetery is unmarked and its exact location not known.
Here are the
website and Facebook page for the ANTH 395 course.
We are very honoured that students in the
ANTH 395 course have been regularly using our Temple Lodge No.33 website as a research tool for their work in the Victoria Jewish Cemetery.
Here are some graves of deceased Freemasons in
Victoria Jewish Cemetery:
Morris Price died in 1861 and was the first interment in Victoria Jewish Cemetery.
Morris Price grave, Victoria Jewish Cemetery
Rabbi Elias Friedlander was the Chief Rabbi of Congregation Emanu-El.
Rabbi Elias Friedlander grave, Victoria Jewish Cemetery, Victoria, B.C.
Judah Phillip Davies and his son Joshua Phillip Davies were auctioneers and leading figures in the late 19th century Jewish community on Victoria.
The grave of Judah Philip Davies and Joshua Philip Davies (1846-1903), Victoria Jewish Cemetery
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Each month Temple Lodge No.33 features a
Deceased Member as a way of highlighting Masonic history in Duncan and the Cowichan Valley.
Deceased Member for January 2017 is James McLeod Campbell (1865-1961), building contractor who also served as Reeve of North Cowichan in 1907 and as a Councilor on the first Duncan City Council in 1912.
James McLeod Campbell, circa 1907 as Reeve of North Cowichan (photo courtesy of Municipality of North Cowichan)
As a building contractor,
James McLeod Campbell built St. John’s Anglican Church, 486 Jubilee Street in downtown Duncan, in 1905.
St. John’s Anglican Church, Jubilee Street, Duncan, B.C. Dedicated in 1905 by the Grand Master of B.C.
James McLeod Campbell is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, North Cowichan.
James McLeod Campbell grave, Mountain View Cemetery, North Cowichan
Would you like to leave a question or comment about anything on this page?