The next Regular Meeting of Temple Lodge, No.33 will be held on Tuesday, 13 December 2016 at 7:30 p.m. at the
Duncan Masonic Temple, 163 Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
Among other business,
members of Temple Lodge, No.33 will be balloting on the Petition for Initiation of a new candidate.
Visiting Brethren are very welcome to attend.
For more information
Contact Us or leave a message in the dialog box below.
Each month Temple Lodge, No.33 features a deceased member as a way of highlighting our Lodge history and the role Lodge members have played in the history of Duncan and the Cowichan Valley.
The featured Deceased Member of Temple Lodge for November 2016 is
Hugh George Egiote Savage (1882-1957), who was the owner, editor and publisher of the Cowichan Leader newspaper from 1914 until 1956.
Hugh George Savage in Masonic regalia as District Deputy Grand Master, circa 1932. (photo copyright Temple Lodge, No.33)
Hugh George Savage commissioned local architect Douglas James to design and build what is now 151-155 Craig Street. Hugh Savage used the building as the office and printing facility for his Cowichan Leader newspaper.
151-155 Craig Street is now two retail stores but it was built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Hugh George Savage’s Cowichan Leader newspaper.
Hugh George Savage is buried in St. Mary’s Somenos Anglican Cemetery on Somenos Road, North Cowichan.
Hugh George Savage, family grave, St. Mary’s Somenos Anglican Cemetery, North Cowichan, B.C.
For more information on
Hugh George Savage, see our full webpage about him on this site.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
The Corner House Cafe in downtown Duncan hosted a meeting of local history buffs on the evening Saturday, 5 November 2016. Temple Lodge, No.33 historian Mark Anderson attended the meeting along with about thirty other people who are interested in the history of Duncan and the Cowichan Valley.
Several local collectors brought items from their collections to exhibit for the event.
Among the items displayed was a realtors’ lawn sign for Cecil Bradshaw & Co. – Insurance & Real Estate. We believe this sign dates from the 1930s.
Sign for Cecil Bradshaw & Co. Insurance and Real Estate, circa 1930’s. The sign is part of a private collection. Used with permission.
Cecil Bradshaw was a
member of Temple Lodge, No.33. He was Initiated, Passed and Raised in 1927, one of over 20 new members who joined Temple Lodge in that year.
We have not yet included a page for Cecil Bradshaw on our website but we will do some research this week and will put up a page on Cecil Bradshaw later this week.
Thanks to the Corner House Cafe for hosting this event.